What is MBA – full form, eligibility and admission criteria
Master of Business Administration or MBA is a postgraduate degree with its importance across the Globe and is recognized not only in India but in other foreign countries as well. MBA is a two-year degree program that provides an individual with a gateway to an abundance of job opportunities across India as well as overseas. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree from any background be it commerce, science, arts, can opt for taking a postgraduate degree in MBA. Generally, four semesters form part of an MBA program and its importance is not limited to only the Private sector. MBA graduates can hold managerial positions in Public and Government sectors as well. The MBA program was introduced in order to meet the deficit of quality managers at the top level in various organizations. Candidates can pursue an MBA program either on a regular basis or can opt for online or distance education basis. Apart from regular MBA degree, candidates with work experience can also opt for an Executive MBA program to enhance their leadership and managerial qualities.
MBA Eligibility Criteria
Candidates can opt for a regular full-time MBA or distance MBA. Although the basic eligibility remains the same in all institutions providing MBA degrees, some colleges may inculcate some changes in MBA eligibility criteria as per their requirement. The following mentioned are the basic requirements which a candidate should have in order to pursue an MBA degree as a post-graduation:
– Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline be it technology, science, commerce, humanities, etc, from any recognized University or Institution of National importance.
– Minimum percentage required in graduation degree is 50% as prescribed by most of the Universities/Institutes.
– Final year candidates can also apply to apply for an MBA, but they have to provide their final graduation certificate within a specified time duration.
Most of the B-Schools conduct their own MBA entrance exams in order to provide admissions to candidates in the two-year management program. Whereas, some of the B-Schools admit candidates on the basis of national level tests like CAT / MAT / XAT / ATMA , etc. Admission tests of MBA can be divided into three levels.
• National Level Test – There are certain exams which are common and are conducted at the National level. Scores of such exams are accepted by all participating colleges/institutes. Some of the top national level MBA entrance exams are CAT, MAT, XAT, ATMA, CMAT, IIFT etc.
• State Level Test – Apart from the national level exams, there are some states that conduct their own entrance exams for MBA. Qualifying candidates can take admission in any of the participating colleges across the state. Some of the top State-level exams include MAH CET , OJEE MBA , TANCET , AP ICET , KMAT, etc.
• University Level Test – Along with above-mentioned tests for MBA admission, some of the institutes also provide admissions to candidates on the basis of test conducted by them. Such University level tests are NMAT /NMIMS, CUSAT , SNAP , IPU CET , IRMASAT etc.
Eligible candidates who are willing to take admission in MBA program in the top B-Schools of India are required to qualify any of the above-mentioned tests depending on their choice of college/university/institute.
Once the candidates qualify any of the above exams, they have to go through a screening/written ability test/personal interview etc depending upon the preference of institute and its selection procedure for MBA admissions.
Scope of MBA Programme
Before candidates decide to opt for an MBA program, it is essential that they understand the scope of the two years program, the benefits associated along with the average pay package they can get. Currently, candidates from all domains are planning to take up the MBA Program for uplifting their career path. The importance of having an MBA degree cannot be neglected. Candidates having MBA degree are demanded in every industry.
Advantages of MBA Degree
• Boost in Career Growth
• Enhancement in Core Values
• Ingenious Attitude
• Time Management
• Innovative Outlook
• Expansion in Job Opportunities.
Author: Vibhanshu Thakur
Also Read: MBA Admission process